Saturday, February 26, 2011

Joe Simon - "Nine Pound Steel"

My Dad was in the military and we moved around a lot, but my parents are from Alabama and I inherited my Dad's love of southern soul.  One of his favorite songs was Nine Pound Steel by Joe Simon.  He loved it so much that he would play it over and over and over.  Often for an hour or so straight.  We knew every note and every word.  My sisters and I got so sick of my Dad playing this record that we hid the 45 in a stack of albums.  Needless to say, it didn't stay hidden for long and we had to suffer through enless hours of what we thought was a depressing, sad song.

Now, however, it's my favorite Joe Simon song and I can clearly hear my Dad's voice singing it.  "Through these bars, I see the sun.  I'm here because of the wrong I've done...."
 

I also want you to hear one more Joe Simon song.  This was out when I was in high school and southernsoulradio.com has been playing it lately.  I hadn't heard it in probably 30+ years and it brought back some good memories.


Joe Simon had other hits but these are my two favorites.
Enjoy!

XXOOXX
Southern Soul Paradise