Friday, August 12, 2011

Johnnie Taylor - "Drown In My Own Tears"

The unmistakable voice of Johnnie Taylor on "Drown In My Own Tears" is timeless.  He always created amazing ballads and he sings this one from the heart.  He tells his girl that she ought to come on home so he won't be all alone.  If you've left, this will make you want to go back!  The legendary Ray Charles made this record many years ago and Johnnie Taylor's remake of it turned a really good song into a great one!!  It definitely sounds like the blues and I can hear just a hint of gospel. The words, melody, and JT's voice make this a beautiful song.

It brings a tear to my eyes
When I begin to realize
I’ve cried so much oh since you‘ve been gone
I’ve almost drowned in my own tears
I sit and cry, oh just like a child
My pouring tears they’re running wild
If you don’t think
Oh that you’ll be home soon
I said I believe I’m going to drown right now baby in my own tears

I just needed my Johnnie Taylor fix!
Enjoy!!
XXOOXX
Southern Soul Paradise