Saturday, July 21, 2012

General Johnson - "That's My Story"

When I hear the opening notes of this song, I just want to sing "Woman, take me in your arms, and rock me baby..."  But after the intro, thoughts of George McCrae fade away.  General Johnson was the lead singer of the Chairman of the Board.  You remember the group from "If you dance to the music, you've got to pay to the piper."  He also had some solo music.  I didn't realize that he was such an amazing songwriter and that he wrote plenty of hits for many artists.  He's been gone for about two years but his music will always live with us.

"That's My Story" is about a guy who doesn't want to get caught in a lie and so he tells the same story.  That's smart - never deviate from what you've said! You know that women can always kind of tell the truth so make sure you're consistent; always stick to the same story.  I like when he says that if she asks him ten years from now if he was telling the truth, he'd tell the same story!

Mama always told me, son, don’t tell a lie
Sometimes I have to break mama’s rule when I need a good alibi
I stayed out late one night
When I got home my woman was waiting up for me
I knew something was wrong
She said a friend of hers saw me and another woman the other night
I said baby that wasn’t me, I was with the boys playing cards all night

Chorus
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it
Believe it or not that’s all there is to it
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it
Believe what you want to believe but I didn’t do it

She fussed all night, we fussed all day
Cause she didn’t believe a word I said
She made me sleep on the couch all night
In the morning she was acting like everything was alright
She said tell me the truth, I won’t get mad
But I won’t go and change my story
And it was the best meal I ever had

Chorus

Now I’m in the hospital
My baby busted me in my head
And we’re still together cause I stuck to what I said

Chorus

Ten years from now and she asks me if I told her the truth
I’ll say baby what I told you ain’t nothing but the truth

Chorus

I wonder what he did to end up in the hospital...
Enjoy!
XXOOXX
Southern Soul Paradise
southernsoulparadise@hotmail.com